Monday, July 8, 2013

How I became slim, fit and healthy

As a child, I often was lazy and preferred to sit at home and stuff my face with junk food and the like. I still do from time to time but I've limited the amount severely and switched to more healthier alternatives instead.

When I was still in New York as a high school student, I would go to a dollar store and buy various junk foods. Chips, candy, you name it. When I was twelve, they had these gummi bunnies that were to die for. I loved them in spite of how hard they were to chew. One day, I bought some Hershey's Nuggets(They resembled them, so it's a possibility they were the same brand. This store was known to have some bootleg merchandise at times). They had a hint of strawberry in them along with cookie crumbles. It was an orgasm in my mouth. I bought them more than I should and it came to a point where I think I fractured a tooth on the right side of my mouth. Months later my dentist would claim there wasn't anything wrong with said tooth. I still feel something off about it though. On the subject of my teeth, all of that junk would do a fair amount of damage to them.

Finally, when I moved to Savannah, I would still indulge in candy and junk. But one thing I noticed were the increased prices for simple things like Skittles and Snickers bars. Eighty-Nine cents for one of those treats was too much. In New York, you'd only pay fifty cents for one of them. Sometimes sixty cents. The prices did go up a little. For a quarter, you can buy a pack of seeds or a fudge pop. Got a dollar? Four of those for you! But that was long ago. Now, they were thirty-five cents or even more. Down here such treats weren't around. I would spend the $2 for a can of Pringles, as they were the same price, more or less. But this didn't last long. I had to tighten my belt and my waistline. I could live without the junk food. It wasn't a dire situation. I was husky and had a gut but nowhere near the obesity line. That's probably why I don't miss such things as much and why it was easy for me to lose the weight. But the one thing that really got to me was the school lunch system in my second high school. For a slice of pizza, you had to pay $3. One slice of pizza for fucking 3$. Now that's worth its own subject. I only did it once and it wasn't spectacular. I went the rest of my days at that school without lunch but that wouldn't a problem for me after New Year's Day, when we returned to school...

This is only the beginning of my journey into staying slim, fit and healthy. And it hasn't even ended yet. I still have a long path to tread. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment