Sunday, July 28, 2013

How I became slim, fit and healthy Part V: Diet is important II

I like meat. Meat is delicious. Be it meat from say, a cow, a bird or some other type of livestock, it's damn good. It's also important for protein. I usually bought steak and other forms of beef around 2011. I liked chicken but for some reason, I didn't like to cook it or rather, I was too scared to cook it. Salmonella is no joke. But eventually, I tried to cook it and it came out better than expected(Wasn't the first time I cooked chicken. At twelve, I fried a drumstick and it came out okay. Burnt on the outside for the most part). Plus, the amount of protein was even higher than the beef I purchased.  I would then make a rule to alternate between the two.

What would I eat with my meat?  In the beginning, mixed vegetables in a can. A nice variety, but not ideal for nutrients. That said, I still go for canned fruit when making smoothies. I then noticed a pack of spring mix for a discount price. Since then, I would switch out the canned vegetables for the fresh leafy greens. They go great with a sirloin, breast or on the bottom of a serving of pasta. Even better if you mix it with your sauce. I know pasta isn't good for you, but moderation and alternative ingredients for your spaghetti noodles/sauce is key. MOD. DER. RATION.

Moving on, fish is now my top priority food when it comes to protein and overall taste. A nice salmon fillet fried in some vegetable oil can be the best thing to me on a bad day. To think I avoided fish altogether because I didn't know how to cook it. Seafood in general is delicious and some of the smaller organisms have more to offer than say, a large slab of flank steak. But again, alternate between all of them. They're all good in their own right. Sometimes I'd go for salmon, other times I'd lean toward tilapia, swai, and whiting. In a blue moon, I could find swordfish. Not too many people can say they got to try that. I'd love to try it after being on a grill. It's made for it. Perch and flounder, however aren't my forte. too flimsy. All in all, there's a great amount of variety to be found within fish and seafood. Try it sometime, there's something for everyone.

On the subject of vegetables, I'm still picky with them. I hate squash and okra. Some others like eggplant and asparagus don't even look appetizing to me. I do enjoy carrots, celery and radishes. Basic stuff, to be frank. Leafy greens are a big favorite. I can eat them bare just cause and it's fun to chew through them. I'm very cautious with mushrooms. Even some of the edible ones can be harmful and the harmful ones can be mistaken for edible fungi. Maybe I'll muster up some courage and go for them in the future.

That covers this entry. I think that I was lucky to have moved from New York. It forced me to make different choices for my diet and I still see the benefits from it now. But even with a good diet, exercise is still important for a body's growth and development. Remember that!

No comments:

Post a Comment