Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Time to vent: My own views on the world and people: America and Food

Well, if you've read my How I Became Slim, Fit and Healthy series(Like anyone really reads these), you already know what this one is gonna be about.
 
Americans in general love to eat. As of recent years we've gotten very fat. On average Americans are either overweight or obese. Now I love to eat. Love it. However there are certain things that need to be limited and that's where the problem lies. Back in the day, a bottle of cola was considered a treat, akin to ice cream. Something you have say, on the weekends or if you were a child who got a good grade on his report card. I can go with that. Actually, my mother did that with me. If I was brave during a shot at the clinic or if I got my grades up, I got McDonalds or even something else as a reward. Now that was understandable and reasonable. Now, we have a bottle of soda every fucking day or whenever we eat a meal(and I use that term loosely with what America considers a meal nowadays).
 
McDonalds is a treat. It's not something that you can eat every single fucking day. My grandmother took me to McDonalds every day when she picked me up from school in the 1st grade. That may or may not have contributed to my adolescent huskiness. You cannot buy a bucket of chicken from whatever chain and pass that as dinner. Personally, it's not that good. I'd rather cook my own damn chicken(and it costs less, too!). All skin, all MSG and no meat. All of these fast food places that gain a shitton of revenue from ignorant Americans who either don't know how to cook or don't want to cook is contributing to our childhood obesity dilemma. What the parents do, the kids will likely follow suit. If the parents don't encourage healthy eating or healthier alternatives to McDonalds or Burger King, their children will think that it's okay to eat at those places every single day. It's not the companies' fault that some people become obese and die from heart attacks from overeating their food. Far from it. Ironically, some places have salads as an alternative.
 
But that's neither here or there. The point is dinners should not be planned at or with fast food chains. Even restaurants that serve home-cooked food(You'd be surprised at the truth)should be avoided, but that's mainly because they're expensive as shit. It's not expensive to buy your own meat and vegetables, which is another topic I'll dive into in the next part. It's not expensive if you take the time and energy to look over prices and quantity. If more people learned how to or attempted to cook their own meals, these problems wouldn't be present.
 
I can see that this topic is too big for one post. I'll post another entry on this subject in the future. Keep a lookout for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment