Saturday, January 4, 2014

Time to vent: My own views on the world and people: Reality Televison

One thing I've hated for over a decade?

Reality shows. These have to be the worst pieces of television programming to ever be thought of or created. Basically you take some cameramen and you film your everyday life. That was the basis of it. Now that people eat this shit up like a pig at a slop bin, everyone is doing a reality show now. And the drama is forced and turned up for the sake of ratings.

The only ones that had some purpose were the ones that had you switch out a parent. Trading Spouses was okay, it showed a realistic scenario. The drama was relatable due to cultural differences at least. It wasn't forced at all. Eventually I stopped watching it because some of the people on that show made me angry by watching them be dicks or assholes for no reason. One particular episode had a white mother be with a black family and she may as well have put them in chains and rags. And, there were three more shows like it coming on other networks. TV in general isn't worth watching. I have a very selective set of shows I watch and 80% of them are old sitcoms or programs that aired already in another country. I do not follow any of the modern reality shows at all let alone modern-day television and make it a rule to avoid them entirely, especially the black reality shows. The Real Housewives of Atlanta, I've watched second-hand. Just what I wanted to see, some middle-aged women acting like they were in high school- scratch that, middle school. If I wanted to watch ignorant black women, I'd go to WorldStarHipHop.

But the main reality show I really have come to hate is American Idol. I hate this fucking show. Hate, hate, HATE this show. I hear the same stories each time a new season premieres:

"This is what I've been waiting for my entire life."

"I am the next American Idol."

"It's my dream to be onstage."

First off, you're one person against tens of millions of people, maybe even more. You've been waiting for a chance to sing, only to have whoever replaced Simon Cowell to tell you to get out. He's the only one I can respect, as he tells most of these people what they need to hear instead of what they want to hear. Now, I know it seems rude and harsh, but considering how many people embarrass themselves on that wretched show, it needs to be said and some feelings need to be hurt. And the one reason I've come to hate American Idol is that everyone has made a fucking show like it. Even fucking FOX made a similar show with the same judges. I don't know what it was called, but it's no longer on their network. I don't watch that shit to begin with. If it is still on, shame on them. If not, shame on them still for wasting money on a clone. And these knockoffs always have a surly Brit like Simon to be a mean-spirited dick. They aren't even trying to hide it. And people watch this. Why? Shows like these are stupid, formulaic and a waste of time. Television is so oversaturated with these reality shows that you can't even tell what's what now. It's literally the same damn thing. I know of one instance where BET had black versions of reality shows that premiered on FOX, CBS and the like. They were pure shit. You were better off watching the originals(if you could even call them that, they stopped being just that around 2006).

Back to the special snowflakes who wanna be the next American Idol, it ain't happening. You're one person against millions of other people. You aren't gonna make it. And if you do, congratulations. You hit the lottery. But then again, you could have hit the lottery. Instead, you're gonna get a deal with a label that might just screw you out of royalties. But even the losers may just get a bar of copper. And if you don't? Well, try harder. Hell, you could go on YouTube and play or sing your song. If you really want that chance that American Idol wasn't going to didn't give you, get a camera and show them what you can do. You might just get lucky.

Lastly, I'm going to say this about reality shows. They're up there with the internet stardom fools I mentioned in my last post. I'm convinced they're the cause of television and maybe the population going downhill. Proof of this? The fact that there are so many to begin with. People put ratings to these shows but an actual television show that dare tries something informative or gives you a reason to watch gets cancelled or chopped before it even got a chance. You don't even have to write a script(Yes, there's a script involved in a program that doesn't require one). Just put two people who hate each other in the same room and let the cameras roll.

Once again, If I wanted to see a bunch of adults act like children, I'd go on the internet and look at them.

No comments:

Post a Comment