Sunday, January 12, 2014

I Hate People Part V: Social Circles

So remember what I said last post? No? Go read it then. In this world, you can have all the skill and talent that you can have and none of that won't matter if you don't know the right people. You think that ditz is giving orders because she worked hard to get to that position? You think that fat, lazy middle-aged woman is a supervisor because she knows her job well? And more importantly, you think that the CEO's of video game companies are where they at because they love video games? Please. They got there because someone they know personally recommended them to their boss. And if they don't know someone, they blew someone, which makes them known. I'm not saying that everyone in a high-end position got there because of foul play or favoritism, but knowing a good amount of people can open doors for you.

Now for the person who isn't as lucky to know the right people, what does that mean for you? It means you're staying at the same position you started at for twenty plus years. That co-worker is getting somewhere in a short time because they know someone. Family is important, too. A third cousin will get you a job or a date. Down here, everyone is family. Everyone has a connection. It's rare not to have that connection. But then again, not everyone is lucky to have such a privilege. When I saw this at my job, even when I innovated and put extra effort in the work, of course I got overlooked. It was infuriating and stressful. I was pissed off and even surlier than usual. I don't like when it happens. Hard work should be the key factor. Why is this no longer a priority? The wrong people got into power, the ones who were given their positions rather than earn it and they make the shots, the rules and decide who gets a slice of the pie. So what can you do about it? Keep working hard. Don't do it for those assholes, but for yourself. Things tend to come back, be it at work or before you die. Even if it's small, at least you got something out of it, right?

RIGHT? Yeah.

But this is pretty much the common factor in the workforce and the corporate world. The managers and the like are getting nice bonuses for the holidays and we get fifteen extra dollars and some discount seasonal items if we're quick enough to get them before the customers. For what it's worth, it was a perk, but I and many others who put a good day's effort could be getting more. For those who are looking into or may possibly become a manager or obtain a high position at whatever you work at, do the right thing. Give the lower employees their worth. If they work hard, give them that promotion and do the right thing. I'm sick of seeing this all over. Just because someone doesn't know a bunch of people doesn't make them irrelevant at all. It doesn't. Stop prioritizing superficial nonsense over what really matters. But even then, it's still a plus to know some people. But not everyone is lucky to get a friend. And the ones that people call friends are probably the last people you'd want to know anyway. This was my situation. After months of stressful nights, stressful co-workers, unpleasable customers and blatant favoritism, I couldn't handle it anymore. And I was moving to another area. I put my time into that instead. those two years of working that job taught me more than what I learned in high school. It shaped me into the person I am today and it made into a better person in the long run. Just because a large sum of the population is shitty, doesn't mean that I have to be. I thank and acknowledge everything that is being done to me when I'm out at a restaurant or in a store. Basically, what my parents taught me as a kid, I didn't forget.

Say please and thank you. And do so without an attitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment